Technology Accounts Name Change


Many university accounts automatically use your legal name as it appears on your official ID. This information comes from Workday (employees) and MyUNLV (students). If you are both a student and employee, Workday generally takes priority for your information. You can request to change your legal or preferred name and reflect on most university accounts. In some cases, you may also request a new ACE username.

preferred name change is when you would like your display name on your university accounts to reflect a preferred name, such as a nickname. This type of change does not require proof of name but is subject to approval. Your preferred name will not replace your legal name. Your legal name will still show on class rosters (in addition to the preferred name) and in select record systems. Some offices/departments will still need to confirm your legal name for verification purposes.

legal name change is when you legally change your name on official IDs. You will need to submit proof of the new name before it is updated.

A username change is when you request a new ACE username. A username change can only be granted for one of these reasons:

  • You legally change your name
  • The email address or ACE ID created through the automated process is considered offensive.
  • You have received harassing or stalking emails, unresolved through other means.


All UNLV students, staff, alumni and guests with active accounts may submit this form.

Getting Started

Preferred Name Changes

Requesting Legal Name Changes

  • Please update your Legal Name with the Registrar, HR or both by following the instructions here.
  • Once you have received confirmation your legal name has been changed, you have the option of requesting a new ACE username or Email Address by submitting this form. You do not need to provide OIT with any documentation as we will verify your new name in Workday and/or MyUNLV

Offensive Name

  • ACE usernames are assigned though an automated process, typically using portions of your last name and assigning a number. On rare occasion, this may result in a offensive username being unintentionally assigned.
  • You can request a new username by submitting this form.


  • If you are the subject of harassment by another UNLV student, please contact the Office of Student Conduct directly first.
  • If you cannot resolve the harassment, submit this form, or contact the IT Help Desk to request a change of username which will also change your Rebelmail.
Request Service

Related Articles (1)

You can request to update your legal or preferred name for many university accounts, such as your ACE Account. You can also request a new ACE username under certain conditions.


Service ID: 3
Wed 6/9/21 8:05 AM
Sat 4/27/24 1:56 AM